The Family Friendly Guide
A Guide to Visiting Croatia with Teens (without hearing "I'm bored")
Are you thinking of taking your teenage kids to Croatia and renting a villa for your vacation? What a fantastic idea! This Mediterranean jewel promises a change of scenery that everyone in the family will enjoy, including hard-to-please teens. And since it generally feels very safe, you won’t have to worry if they want to go to the beach or wander around towns on their own. Here are a few suggestions to help you plan your trip and get them excited about it.
If your teens are beach bums
Does your teens’ idea of a perfect vacation involve sunbathing, swimming in crystalline waters, and taking beach selfies? Rejoice as Croatia has no shortage of picture-perfect beaches!
- Brac Island’s Zlatni Rat is a popular option. A stunning stretch of fine pebbles that reaches out into the Adriatic, it also has excellent water sports facilities like windsurfing, scuba diving, and sea kayaking, if lying on the beach is not enough.
- Between Split and Dubrovnik, Brela has beautiful coves, small cafes, and pine-topped rocks as a backdrop.
- If you’re visiting Zadar further north, make a trip to Nin for its sandy shores, dramatic views, and medicinal mud!
If your teens like to stay active
Incorporating some outdoor fun in your trip to Croatia is easy! With its rugged coastline and mountains, there’s plenty of exploring to be done, including:
- Cycling around Hvar Island: Choose from a dozen cycling routes from the town of Hvar past lavender fields, olive groves, vineyards, and ancient Greek walls, then stop for ice cream and cake at a local cafe.
- Hiking Vidova Gora, the highest peak in the Adriatic Islands, for a moderate intensity workout and Instagram-worthy views. For a longer hike, you could try Mount Mosor, near Split. You might even spot mountain goats along the way!
- Kayaking from Hvar town to the Pakleni islands, just off the coast, and savoring a delicious lunch with a view on one of the islands. You can also swim and snorkel in hidden coves!
- Going on a river tubing adventure on the Cetina river, or ziplining over it. Pure adrenaline guaranteed!
If your teens are culture buffs
From a rich cultural heritage to a booming DJ-festival scene, Croatia has plenty in store to keep your whole family entertained.
- Spend a day in a pirate hideout in the pretty coastal town of Omiš
- Check out the summer festivals, from the Dubrovnik Summer Festival to Split’s toga-clad ‘Days of Diocletian’, and over twenty epic music festivals your older teens will be begging for.